This was the 3rd of 3 books I read this year about Scotland. A New Race of Men covered the years 1815 – 1914. This was an era of rapid industrialization, the Scottish Enlightenment, and the Highland Clearances. Here are some things I learned that stuck out to me:
- It’s not an accident that the Scottish Highlands contain few people. They were cleared off the land for a variety of reasons, opening up hunting ground for the English as one of those reasons.
- The Duke of Sutherland owned 1 million acres
- The Scottish Home Rule Association was the ancestor to the Scottish National Party
- Scotland’s population in 1800 was 1.6 million and in 1911 it was 4.8 million.
- The Presbyterians split roughly 50/50 in 1843 instead the Presbyterians and Free Church
- Queen Victoria loved Scotland (at least the idealized version)
- The Act of 1872 provided universal elementary education