Reason Book was Chosen:I recently heard a podcast episode where David Brooks shared his recent faith journey and it was fascinating. I'd seen this book on the radar for a while, but that moved me to want to read this book.
David Brooks presents two ways of living – the first mountain and the second mountain. Here’s a breakdown of what’s involved:
1st Mountain / 2nd Mountain:
- focus on self / focus on others
- happiness / joy
- contracts / covenants
- freedom from / commitments (freedom to)
- institutions / relationships
- social approval / seeking truth
- tribalism / community
- can / ought
- conquer the world / conquered by higher purpse
- building ego / shedding ego
- career / vocation
- building self / growing soul
Brooks identifies the big problem of our day being hyper-individualism. The results are rising suicide rates, unhappiness, and a lack of purpose. The antidote is a life of love, care, and commitment. In particular, commitment in four areas:
- Philosophy / Faith
This is a book about the soul – a book about impacting the moral ecology around you through daily and often hidden decisions.
This book tied together a number of books from this reading project and it was a joy to read.